The Generous PIMP - INVINCIBLE BULLY INC.



INVINCIBLE BULLY INC.

Hip-Hop Vinyl Rips, Funny Videos, NBA Basketball

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Generous PIMP







D.I.T.C. - Thick / Time To Get This Money


Tracklist:
A1 Thick (Neat)
Producer - DJ Premier
A2 Thick (Street)
Producer - DJ Premier
A3 Thick (Beat)
Producer - DJ Premier
B1 Time To Get The Money (Neat)
Producer - Ahmed
Scratches - DJ Premier
B2 Time To Get The Money (Street)
Producer - Ahmed
Scratches - DJ Premier
B3 Time To Get The Money (Beat)
Producer - Ahmed
Scratches - DJ Premier

download









Diamond D - The Hiatus / No Wonduh (The Projects)


Tracklist:
A1 The Hiatus (Radio) (3:47)
A2 The Hiatus (LP Version) (3:50)
A3 The Hiatus (Instrumental) (3:50)
B1 No Wonduh (The Projects) (Radio) (3:42)
B2 No Wonduh (The Projects) (LP Version) (3:51)
B3 No Wonduh (The Projects) (Instrumental) (3:51)

download




Louis Logic: Hip Hop's Piano Man
Written by Wreck Loose   

 Active Image
An interview with Louis Logic.

Amongst a thick fog of average, uninspired, insipid rappers emerges a true artist.  A Long Island bred master of rap language and a multi-syllabic sorcerer.   What Louis Logic does with the microphone is the verbal equivalent to what John Steinbeck did with a pen. 

Many know the name by the reputation of his classic debut album alone, but the former pro skateboarder still kicks and pushes the limits of his music and the hip hop genre with his versatile sonic abilities.  Whether it be a reminiscent soulful croon about past relationships gone bad, or a melodious massage of the ivory, Louis Logic is by no means your average rapper.

A year after his last record, ‘Misery Loves Comedy,’ LifeonWax.com had the chance to sit down with Lou to talk about his upcoming projects, his newfound admiration for the piano, and what he wants for Christmas—

LoW: What did you eat for breakfast this morning?

Louis Logic: 2 cups of coffee with 2 sugars and evaporated milk. The breakfast of old folks everywhere. 

LoW: What music (albums/single songs/artists) have you been listening to lately? Can you recommend us anything good to check out? 

Louis Logic: All things Elliott Smith and Jeff Buckley, Beirut's new album Flying Club Cup. Of course the new Rufus Wainwright record, Release the Stars. He's my favorite singer/songwriter. The new Radiohead record In Rainbows. It's beautiful. They are my favorite band. Let's see, Sondre Lerche. He's fantastic. Just saw him play Bowery Ballroom 2 nights ago. He's a Norwegian singer/songwriter/guitarist. Very jazz influenced, very young, very talented. The Decemberists.

LoW:  I know that you love all genres of music, but I understand that you don't really listen to hip hop that often. Is there any reason for that?

Louis Logic: Yeah. There is. I don't want you or anyone who reads this to get the wrong impression. I love rapping. I love the sound of it. I love doing it. I love a great beat. I even get hungry for them. It's hard to explain but I just feel a little let down by rap music. There was a time when that didn't happen to me, because I didn't know any better.

It took less to make me happy. Before I started venturing into other genres of music and then ultimately learning how music is written I didn't know what a measure was let alone have an understanding about how most rap records are essentially loops of a few short measures of music. The structural arrangements are often repetitive too, 16 bar verses and 8 bar choruses. Who counts out their music in bars anyway!?! Haha! I'm getting all fired up now. I'm sorry.

What I really want to convey is that I think this music is filled with the potential for a greatness it has yet to achieve. Oh brother! I sound like a fuckin' politician. What am I trying to say here? I could be way off base. I'm not saying I'm going to be the one to save it. I'm just seeking fulfillment like the rest of you.

When you're a kid, before you taste Indian or Thai food you live your life on hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza. Then one day you try something different and your horizons broaden. You still love hot dogs and hamburgers or maybe now it's Tofu Pups and Morningstar Grillers, but now you have an interest and a taste for a wide world of possibility. That's all it is. I'm not satisfied unless I get to sample the cuisine of exotic cultures.

LoW: What type of music inspires you the most?

Louis Logic: Well, with my current trajectory some people are wondering if I'll be making rap records in the next year. Losing my sense of inspiration from rap is problematic to be sure. I feel a little like Damien Karras, the priest in the Exorcist who lost his faith. I must confess that I don't have the solution to this particular problem. I've tried to make the rap music I thought would inspire both me and others like me. I don't know if it worked.

It's hard to tickle yourself, you know. I'm still trying, but it's not as easy as imagining and wanting to change things. It sounds sad, but it seems to me that rap will have to destroy itself like a civilization before this happens. We've watched the music get simpler and worse each year. Less people are buying it and the shelf life is getting shorter. Where do you think it's headed? Even pop rap artists can't sell records anymore. If that's not a sign of the apocalypse to come, I don't know what is.

I've got sad news for us hip-hoppers. This isn't happening on the same scale in the rock and indie rock world. Don't let the heroin chic and washed out look fool you. Those guys are much healthier career-wise. You see, I sometimes feel bad about expressing these ideas, but then I realize this isn't my fault. We're all a part of it.

I seek inspiration where it still happens for me in the hopes that it will yield music that works to the cause of re generating interest in rap records. I couldn't tell you if it's working. My records don't even reach enough people to serve as a true test of the theory, but I always dreamed of being the first rap artist invited to play at Carnegie Hall. That's stupid isn't it? I felt stupid just saying it.

Sample Image Even pop rap artists can't sell records anymore. If that's not a sign of the apocalypse to come, I don't know what is.

LoW: For years you were the crass, alcoholic, misogynistic Lou. Now we are seeing a more mature, sincere, and tranquil Lou-- What happened?

Louis Logic: Now, that is an interesting question. No one ever wants to put it to me that way. Maybe they feel like I'll interpret the question as: "Why did you get all serious and mature on us? We liked your records more when you were a drunk, crazy womanizer." I love the "What happened?"at the end of it. That's hilarious. It sounds like you're expecting me to tell you I had some near-death experience that changed my life, like a car crash or a white water rafting trip gone awry.

The simple truth is I got older and I had some pretty intense learning experiences in my romantic relationships. I mean if you think about it, I wrote the songs on the Sin-A-Matic album between the ages of 24-26. I'm gonna be 33 years old in less than a month. It's not strange that I no longer think women are bitches and gay people are faggots. I grew up. I don't laugh at the same things I thought were funny when I was 22. It takes a little more than some cursing and offensive lyrics to get me smiling.

Lou Tickles the Ivory LoW: It seems that you have fallen in love with the piano. Can you tell us more about why you have taken this direction and where this will steer your career? Should we expect a piano based album from the new "Chris Martin of hip hop?"

Louis Logic: Hahaha. Who called me that? Is that your idea? That's amusing. Do people think of him when they think "piano player who sings"? I always think "Billy Joel or Harry Connick Jr., Jerry Lee Lewis" and such. I don't have anything against Chris Martin though.

I like some of his songs. The song "Trouble" on the Parachutes album is really pretty. You know, you're right on the money with the phrasing though. J.J. even says the same thing to me. You fell in love with the piano. We had a lot of fights about it. It's reason for concern, I suppose. Just because I love it doesn't mean that anyone else will.

Far as an album, I haven't been shy or secretive about my intentions to learn enough to make a piano based record. I've been slowly working on songs I hope to record for an EP as a test run. This won't be a louis logic project though. I don't see the need to connect the two.

I'm going to call the project Kiss Her Stupid. It's not going to start as a band, although I will seek session players to fill out the arrangements. There will be singing and rapping on the record. I'm sure some of the kids who like my work and follow what I'm doing know about this, but just to clarify, I don't consider this as a replacement for my rap career. I just want to do it. I'll let the outcome tell me what's next. I don't have some preconceived notion of how this will go and what the results will imply.

LoW:  What projects are you currently working on? (Can you please also tell us the release date for the Beatman and Rockin' record).

Louis Logic:  Man! I wish I could. I'm glad you did your homework though. That means a lot to me. Thank you for taking such an interest in what the future holds for me. I hope the audiences will have the same ambition to seek this record out when it's ready. It's getting more difficult to put out a record with each passing year. As it happens, I bought a plane ticket to Denmark yesterday.

I'm going to be working on the record for a few weeks in December. I think maybe one more session and I'll have something from which I might cull an album. This record is the next rap full length I will be making and releasing and the name of the group will be Spork. I don't know what we're calling the album yet, but for an early forecast, I can tell you that this is a much more silly record than Misery Loves Comedy. The only other projects I'm working on are executive producing J.J. Brown's solo effort, studying piano and writing for the Kiss Her Stupid EP.

LoW: I heard there were rumors of appearing on a Gym Class Heroes Remix record? Is this true?

Louis Logic: Well, I can only say that I am on such a song. Will it ever surface? I have no idea. You'll have to watch and wait, which is exactly what I'm doing. Wish I could offer more than that. By the by, you should consider a career in private investigation. How do you guys find this shit out?

LoW: *Smiles and shrugs* I always thought of you as one of the first 'underground' artists that could easily crossover into the mainstream. Have you ever been contacted about a major label deal? Is that even a goal or focus of yours?

Louis Logic: Yeah. That's cool and all. I don't even know what to say about that stuff. Sure, I've had my run –ins. Most of us making indie rap records have. I don't want to devote any more lip service to this than to say, you don't see me on any major label records. That should pretty much answer the question. Is it me or the labels making it that way? I leave that to your imagination. I guess it doesn't matter all that much either way. It isn't happening.

Sample ImageThe only other projects I'm working on are executive producing J.J. Brown's solo effort, studying piano and writing for the Kiss Her Stupid EP.

LoW:  With file sharing programs, torrents, and music blogs it is so easy for an artist's album to be bootlegged a thousand times over. What are your feelings about fans that bootleg albums and pass it around online? How does it affect you as an artist?Pajama Piano

Louis Logic: I don't feel anything about this. I'm numb and there's no point. I have bigger fish to fry than tackling a global industry phenomenon that is over a decade old.

I'm busy trying to catch up to your average 10 year old who's been playing piano since he was 5. All I can say is thank heaven most pop rock pianists are not extraordinarily technical in their composition.

LoW: If you could choose one single object that represents Louis Logic as a person- what would it be?

Louis Logic: Fuck I don't know. Can it be like what object I wish I could be? I would pick one of those magic 8 balls you shake and then it tells you some bullshit answer for whatever question you pose. That or a vibrator.

LoW: And finally, what does Lou want for Christmas?

Louis Logic: I would just say the same answer for this as the last question, but then people would get the impression I want to fuck myself with a vibrator. Hmm… I want a grand piano. Aren't you glad I'm not on your Christmas shopping list? Merry Christmas, y'all.




borrowed from Life On Wax










Show & AG - Full Scale EP


Tracklist:
A1 Full Scale (3:50)
Featuring - O.C.
A2 Drop It Heavy (4:10)
Featuring - Big Punisher , KRS-One
A3 Spit (3:27)
B1 Q & A (4:00)
Featuring - Ghetto Dwellas, The
B2 Raw As Ever (2:21)
B3 Full Scale Beats (3:27)
B4 Drop It Heavy Beats (1:53)
B5 Spit Beats (1:50)
B6 Q & A Beats (1:55)

download

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home